(239) 344-8959

Get a Quote

What You Must Know About Moving Your Pet To Hong Kong

Published on: April 9, 2015  |  Author: Starwood Pet Travel

What you must know about moving your pet to Hong KongMoving your household and pets to a faraway land can be a daunting task that involves intricate choreography of people and things. The to-do-list is long. Among the most important tasks is ensuring your treasured pets are able to make the move smoothly and safely. Here’s what you need to know in order to move your pet to Hong Kong.

Basic requirements

As long as your dog or cat is at least 5 months old, you can apply for a Special Import Permit to move a pet to Hong Kong. The application may be completed in English, and the permit is valid for 6 months, so you can obtain it well in advance of your move.

If you are moving from the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Japan or Hawaii, you will also need:

  • International Health Certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 10 days of your pet’s departure and authenticated by the USDA.
  • A microchip. If your pet is a dog and he currently has a microchip that is not an AVID encrypted transponder, he will have to get a new one.
  • Some pets may require a blood test.
  • A Residence Certificate confirming your pet has lived in your departure country (or Hawaii) for at least six months.
  • Proof of vaccination, at least 30 days but not more than a year from your pet’s departure date. Dogs and cats need different vaccinations.
  • An Airline Certificate that confirms your pet travelled on one aircraft and had no contact with other animals during the trip.

If you plan shipping your pet to Hong Kong from anywhere in the US except Hawaii, your pet must also have proof of rabies vaccination administered between 30 days and one year prior to departure. Meeting all these requirements means your pets will not have to be quarantined on arrival.

Pets must travel to Hong Kong as cargo, which means you’ll need an IATA-approved kennel for each animal. You’ll also have to arrange transportation to the cargo terminal in your departure city and pick-up at the airport in Hong Kong.

Working with a professional pet transport company is the ultimate stress-reliever.

Without hiring or at least getting reliable advice from an experienced, top-rated international pet transport service, you will have to do every one of these things yourself. It can be extremely time-consuming, and that’s the easiest hurdle.

The process can be quite confusing and frustrating, and all the while your worries are mounting that you might be making a mistake. What if your pet gets delayed half way through his trip, or arrives at your departure terminal or Hong Kong customs with inadequate paperwork? What will you do? Who can you turn to then?

These are chilling thoughts – exactly the sort of thing that runs through every pet parent’s mind as they contemplate an international move. With so much else on your mind right now, why set yourself up for that?

A broker can handle every detail or just the most critical paperwork, and they will treat your pets with the same loving care as you would. They know what to do, how to get it done efficiently and absolutely accurately. If there are things you need to help with, they will explain that clearly and let you know the timeframe.

Far more than a “travel service” for pets, they understand how concerned you are about your furry family’s safety and comfort. So they will stay in close communication, with updates on your pets’ progress once travel is underway so you know everything is going according to plan. You can be calm and confident, knowing your pets are literally in good hands.

When you move a pet to Hong Kong, there are arrangements you’ll need to make at the other end, too:

  • Every dog in Hong Kong is required to have a license. You can do that after you arrive, by going to one of the Agriculture & Fisheries Department’s licensing centers. The process only takes about 15 minutes, and you do not have to make an appointment.
  • You’ll need a new vet, of course, and you can check the Hong Kong government’s official list of registered veterinary surgeons (it’s in English) to find one near where you’ll be living.

Will your pet be happy in Hong Kong?

The government officially encourages people bringing pets into Hong Kong to be “responsible pet owners.” They warn that many residences in Hong Kong are smaller apartments, and not all accommodations allow dogs. In light of that, they ask that you consider whether your dog will be able to get the exercise they need, or whether they may become a nuisance to your neighbors.

New Call-to-action

Starwood Animal Transport has rebranded to Starwood Pet Travel. We are still the same great company with the best team, just now with a slightly different name.